- 1 What importance does the cockfight hold for the Balinese?
- 2 What happened during the course of the cockfight that Geertz and his wife were attending what did the Geertz do?
- 3 What was the initial reaction of the Balinese villagers to Geertz and his wife?
- 4 What is the meaning of deep play?
- 5 Is cockfighting legal in Bali for what reason were the Balinese villagers holding a cockfight?
- 6 What is deep play cite specific examples?
- 7 What is thick description According to Geertz?
- 8 What is Web of significance?
- 9 What is deep ethnography?
- 10 Who saw the function of culture as serving the needs of the individual?
- 11 WHO has expressed the view that knowledge in cultural ecology is a perceptual review?
- 12 Which of the following might also be referred to as an ethnographer?
- 13 What are the benefits of deep play?
- 14 What is symbolic play in child development?
- 15 What are play types?
What importance does the cockfight hold for the Balinese?
The cocks themselves represent everything evil and “animal” to the Balinese, and placed in the context of the everyday, they are a reminder of what lies beneath every man and his social status. Cockfighting is a metaphor of the whole practice of social life in Bali.
What happened during the course of the cockfight that Geertz and his wife were attending what did the Geertz do?
Cockfights are illegal in Bali. One day, while attending a cockfight, Geertz and his wife find themselves, during the third match, in the middle of a police raid. As the villagers started to run in all directions, they decided to do the same, and they took shelter with other villagers in one of the compounds.
What was the initial reaction of the Balinese villagers to Geertz and his wife?
2. What was the initial reaction of the Balinese villagers to Geertz and his wife? The initial reaction to Geertz and his wife was to watch their every move. Although the Balinese villagers seem to already know what Geertz and his wife where there to do.
What is the meaning of deep play?
Deep play means, (according to Bentham’s concept), play in which stakes are so high that it becomes plain unreasonable for an individual to participate but at the same time making the play intensely dramatic and engrossing.
Is cockfighting legal in Bali for what reason were the Balinese villagers holding a cockfight?
In the past, cockfights were illegal in Bali, but because of their cultural importance the ban was ignored. The compromise between Balinese authorities and the central government was to allow the fights but ban gambling, as it is frowned upon by the Islamic values that are prevalent in the central government.
What is deep play cite specific examples?
Quick Reference His footnote cites a gaming/gambling example:If you have just a thousand pounds and the stake is five hundred and you lose, your fortune is diminished by a half; but if you win, the gain is only a third.
What is thick description According to Geertz?
To aid anthropologists in the task of defining their cultural object of study, Geertz introduced the concept of thick description into the parlance of the discipline; this term can be described as “the detailed account of field experiences in which the researcher makes explicit the patterns of cultural and social
What is Web of significance?
Webs of significance is used to refer to culture. All the human beings exist and live in their cultures. Humans create and modify their cultures, and in turn cultures define the context where the humans are. No one can live without any culture, that’s why they create them and are suspended in them.
What is deep ethnography?
Deep dive ethnography is a way of using structured interactions to gain empathic insights about the people you’re designing for, often while sharing their experiences in their own setting.
Who saw the function of culture as serving the needs of the individual?
Talcott Parsons (1902-1979), a sociologist who contributed to the structural-functionalist school conceptualized the social universe in terms of four types and levels of “action systems,” ( culture, society, personality, and organismic/behavioral) with each system having to meet four functional needs (adaptation, goal
WHO has expressed the view that knowledge in cultural ecology is a perceptual review?
The study of the environment’s effects on humans was especially prevalent in the 1950s-1970s when Julian Steward founded the anthropological theory of Cultural Ecology.
Which of the following might also be referred to as an ethnographer?
Terms in this set (129) Which of the following might also be referred to as an ethnographer? a cultural anthropologist.
What are the benefits of deep play?
Deep play has important benefits for children. It allows them to experience, manage and overcome risk – this may be physical, mental or emotional. It also serves a deeper need to confront our own mortality and feel the thrill of being alive and having conquered our fears.
What is symbolic play in child development?
What is symbolic play? Symbolic play happens when your child starts to use objects to represent (or symbolize) other objects. It also happens when they assign impossible functions, like giving their dolly a cup to hold. It’s a time when creativity really starts to shine.
What are play types?
There are 16 different play types. These are: Communication Play, Creative Play, Deep Play, Dramatic Play, Exploratory Play, Fantasy and Imaginary Play, Locomotor Play, Mastery Play, Object Play, Recapitulative Play, Role Play, Rough and Tumble Play, Social Play, Socio-Dramatic Play, and Symbolic Play.