- 1 What makes the Balinese gamelan ensembles characteristic distinctive?
- 2 What makes Indonesian musician unique?
- 3 What is unique about the sound of Indonesian Javanese Balinese music?
- 4 What is the religious beliefs of gamelan?
- 5 What is the description of the Balinese gamelan?
- 6 What are the most famous gamelan?
- 7 What does gamelan mean?
- 8 What are the two main Gamelans in Indonesia?
- 9 What are the three main religions of Indonesia?
- 10 What are the two types of gamelan?
- 11 What is the difference of gamelan and Kulintang?
- 12 How do you describe the elements of music of Indonesia?
- 13 What are the religious beliefs?
- 14 Why is gamelan important?
- 15 What is the main function of gamelan?
What makes the Balinese gamelan ensembles characteristic distinctive?
In most ensembles, instruments are arranged in pairs, with each instrument tuned slightly apart from its partner to create a vibrant acoustical ‘beating’ sound that makes the music come alive and gives Balinese gamelan its characteristic pulsating, shimmering quality so different from Javanese gamelan.
What makes Indonesian musician unique?
The music of Indonesia demonstrates its cultural diversity, the local musical creativity, as well as subsequent foreign musical influences that shaped contemporary music scenes of Indonesia. Nearly thousands of Indonesian islands having its own cultural and artistic history and character.
What is unique about the sound of Indonesian Javanese Balinese music?
Javanese has simpler rhythms & is more refined while Balinese rhythms are fast and are dynamic. Javanese ensembles have a standardized set of gamelan instruments, while the Balinese have distinct gamelan ensembles.
What is the religious beliefs of gamelan?
Today, nearly ninety percent of Java’s population is Muslim. The traditional arts of gamelan music, dance and theatre, however, have their roots in Java’s Hindu-Buddhist past. The Islam of the Middle East had mixed with Indian Hinduism before reaching Java In the fifteenth century.
What is the description of the Balinese gamelan?
The Balinese gamelan is a staple of Balinese culture. Composed of a combination of metallophones, xylophones, drums, gongs, and sometimes flutes, the Balinese can compose and play magnificent tunes to suit the need of the occasion. Javanese gamelan is tuned following the pentatonic scale, or known as slendro.
What are the most famous gamelan?
The 10 Essential Gamelan Albums
- Çudamani. The Seven-Tone Gamelan Orchestra from the Village of Pengosekan, Bali (Vital Records, 2002)
- Gamelan Orchestra of the Yogyakarta Royal Palace.
- Idjah Hadidjah.
- I Wayan Loceng, I Wayan Sarga, I Ketut Balik and I Ketut Sukayana.
- STSI Denpasar.
- STSI Ensemble.
- Various Artists.
What does gamelan mean?
: an Indonesian orchestra made up especially of percussion instruments (such as gongs, xylophones, and drums)
What are the two main Gamelans in Indonesia?
Typical Javanese gamelan instruments. In the courts of Java, Javanese gamelan is grouped into 2 groups of gamelan, namely gamelan Pakurmatan and gamelan Ageng.
What are the three main religions of Indonesia?
Religion in Indonesia
- Islam (86.7%)
- Protestantism & Other Christians (7.6%)
- Catholicism (3.12%)
- Hinduism (1.74%)
- Buddhism (0.8%)
- Confucianism (0.03%)
- Other religions /no answer (0.4%)
What are the two types of gamelan?
There are two different scale systems used in Balinese gamelan: slendro and pelog.
What is the difference of gamelan and Kulintang?
Gamelan is a combination of musical instruments that highlight the xylophone, metallophones, drums, and gongs. While kulintang is a musical instrument that originated from North Sulawesi.
How do you describe the elements of music of Indonesia?
The gamelan is the main element of traditional Indonesian music. The instruments in a gamelan are composed of sets of tuned bronze gongs, gong-chimes, metallophones, drums, one or more flute, bowed and plucked string instruments, and sometimes singers. The most popular gamelan can be found in Java, and Bali.
What are the religious beliefs?
Religious belief means the belief in a religion’s central articles of faith, for example, within Christianity that Jesus is the Son of God. It also means beliefs which exist within a religion, but which are not shared by everybody within that religion. the belief in creationism or intelligent design.
Why is gamelan important?
Today, gamelan is an important feature of shadow puppet shows, dances, rituals, and other performances in Indonesia. Although stand-alone gamelan concerts are unusual, the music may also be heard frequently on the radio. Most Indonesians today have embraced this ancient musical form as their national sound.
What is the main function of gamelan?
A sustained melody is played either by the bamboo flute (suling) or by a bowed stringed instrument (rebab) or is sung—the last especially when, as often occurs, the gamelan is used to accompany theatrical performances, or wayang.